HappyNewGuitarDay.com is supported by our readers. Making a purchase through links on our site may earn us an affiliate commission.
Guitar players can be a weird bunch. When most people collect musical instruments, they place their guitar hanging behind glass in order to ensure that they will never be harmed. When guitar players collect guitars, they hang them on the wall so that they are ready to be played. Out in the open on a guitar wall mount instead of locked up in a guitar case.
- Best Guitar Wall Hangers Choice
- Why You Need Guitar Hanger
- Are Wall Hangers For Guitars Safe?
- Is It Ok To Hang A Guitar On The Wall?
- How To Hang A Guitar On The Wall
- Tools You Need To Hang Your Guitar On A Wall
- Hanging Your Guitar
- Hanging Guitars On Drywall Using Guitar Wall Hooks
- Can Wall Hangers Damage Your Guitar Neck?
- What can I use to hang a guitar on the wall?
- Guitar Holder For Wall Conclusion
While there may be the question about the safety of your guitar hanging on a solid wall from a hanger like you see in guitar shops from them over using a floor stand, we look to cover that here.
Do you want to replace your guitar stand with a guitar hanger? Do you like the look of a holder wall mount guitar?
Best Guitar Wall Hangers Choice
Hercules GSP40SBPLUS Plus Guitar Wall Hanger
This is my favorite amount all the guitar wall hooks options. Mainly because of the way the hanger works when you put a guitar in it – thanks to their Universal Guitar Wall Hanger With Auto Grip System. When you place your guitar in it, there are two little arms that swing out and make sure that the guitar is securely housed in the studio guitar hanger for guitar. Makes it very hard to knock off because you have to physically lift the guitar up and then slide it out of the hangers. The Hercules GSP40SBPLUS with Auto Grip System locking mechanism is one of my favorites. The Series universal Autogrip wall mount option makes it very convenient to use for a wall mount guitar. This is my favorite guitar hook.
- Completely eliminates the need for a guitar stand!
- Guitar is always in arms reach!
- Adjustable to fit any size guitar, even 7-strings!
- Clean and sleek appearance.
- A little pricey (but still worth it)
Ohuhu Guitar Hanger
The Ohuhu guitar hanger, like this one on Amazon, is the ideal solution for those looking for guitar hanging on the wall with a safe heavy duty basic wall hanger that can hold the weight by its headstock. The hardwood base is easily installed onto the wall, while the rubberized holder safely cradles the instrument. The rubber stoppers and foam padding can be adjusted to fit any stringed instrument so that they can hold it suspended safely and without fear of scratching it. This means that the best wall guitar hanger can hold the instrument in place without wobbling and in a space-efficient manner, ready to be grabbed for playing at a moment’s notice. For those looking for a gorgeous way to show off their collection while desiring to have them ready for play, this is perhaps the best possible wall mount hook stand solution.
- Compatible with acoustic, electric, and classical guitars
- Great for small spaces
- Easy installation
- Doesn’t have a locking mechanism.
String Swing Guitar Wall Hangers
A wallmount guitar hanger made by String Swing hardwood is another excellent option. It’s made from solid hard wood that is not only very sturdy but looks very nice too. The guitar hanger has padded arms with foam padding to help protect your headstock while it hangs. Made in the USA and comes with everything you need to install it on your wall with just a couple screw holes.
- Easily installed or taken down
- Easy to use and maintain
- May not work with brick wall surfaces.
String Swing SW5RL-B-K Guitar Keeper
Got a bunch of guitars that you want to mount on the wall together? Take a look at this solid wood wall hanger for guitar! You can hang up to 5 guitars at a time. This hanger allows you to adjust the hooks which allows you to hang acoustics, electrics and other stringed instruments together and be able to move the guitar hangers to space them out properly. Great for collectors and/or guitar shops.
- Easy to hang
- No assembly required
- Sturdy construction
- Sits flush against the wall
- Stable base for keeping guitar in a fretting hand at all times
- The neck of the guitar doesn’t grip the hanger tightly, so if you bump it you can knock it off.
Gator Frameworks Wall Mounted Guitar Hanger
Storing your musical instruments safely is a must. At the same time, you all want them within reach whenever you want to play or record music. Consider a Gator Frameworks wall mounted guitar hanger to safely display your favorite types of guitars on the wall of your studio or other favorite room.
Gator Frameworks has a selection of fine hangers that will securely display your guitar with an affordable option. Choose from five different wall mounts with plates in different colors like black, mahogany, cherry, maple and chrome. Every wall mount comes with a foam wall pad to place behind the plate to prevent marring or scratching the wall or another surface on which the hanger is mounted, along with mounting screws and drywall hangers.
Every guitar hanger provides just the right amount of clearance from straight or angled head-stocks and guitar headstock shape while maintaining a low profile. The rubberized swivel cradle adjusts automatically to your guitar’s neck to keep it straight and create a gorgeous presentation.
Gator Frameworks wall mounted guitar hangers fit electric and acoustic guitars as well as bass guitars. These hangers are safe for polyurethane finishes but are not recommended for vintage or lacquer finishes. A three-year warranty on manufacturing defects in material and workmanship comes with every purchase.
- Strong metal frame;
- Hanger is covered in a thick felt to protect your guitar’s finish;
- Guitar neck holder prevents the instrument from slipping over time.
- Material around the neck holder might rip over time and leave strings sticking out, so you need to pay attention when putting your guitar away.
The Hercules GSP38WB guitar hanger is an attractive and reliable hanger that can be used to hang a range of guitar sizes. It features an improved Auto Grip System (AGS) that can now accommodate guitar neck sizes ranging from 40 – 52mm and is suitable for hanging classical guitars. The AGS system operates based on the weight of the guitar; when the instrument is placed in the yoke the housing slides down with the arms rotating to secure it. When the guitar is ready for play all a player need do is lift it and the AGS autogrip system releases automatically.
Unlike other guitar hangers, it includes attachments to increase the thickness of the grip arms that allow the hanger to accommodate narrow neck instruments (such as banjos and mandolins, for example). The specially formulated foam rubber found on this guitar hangar protects the instrument at all contact points with the hangar and provides a safe and secure support. It includes the following features:
- Attractive Wood Base for home mounting
- Auto-swivel yoke with AGS hanger that can accommodate a wide range of different shaped guitars and basses
- AGS yoke feature holds the instrument safely and securely thanks to autogrip
- Specially formulated foam covers the yoke to provide protection against damage
- Excellent price point
- Easy to install
Why You Need Guitar Hanger
If you’re a guitar player, then you understand that protecting your musical investment is crucial to your success as a musician in the guitar community. Why do you need a quality hanger for your guitar? There are many reasons for using a wall mounted guitar stand, but here are the most important.
- More Space – If you happen to have a studio space just for your musical endeavors, you have enough space to keep guitars on stands or in their cases, but most people don’t have separate music studios. Using a wall mounted guitar hanger saves space and keeps down the clutter.
- Protection – Hanging your guitars with a wall holder protects them from damage that can occur by keeping them on the floor on stands or tucked away in a closet where they can be knocked over, stepped on, or damaged other ways.
- Motivation – Keeping your guitars out in the open where you can regularly see them can help keep you motivated for regular playing and practicing.
- Decoration – Guitars make excellent wall decor. If you have different types, colors, and sizes, guitar wall holders can turn any wall in your home into a great centerpiece of attraction by adding style and a chic appeal to the guitar room.
Are Wall Hangers For Guitars Safe?
Yes. If they are used and installed correctly, they can be. Care needs to be taken when they are installed in order to make sure that they do not damage the wall and the guitar needs to be placed carefully; allowing for that, they can be great ways to display your guitars. They are great ways to display the guitars on a wall hanger for guitar for those take pride in their guitars and wish to display them for others to see, as well as be ready to play at any time. This not only ensures that they will be taken care of but that they can be ready at a moment’s notice when everyone gets together. This makes them more than mere decorations, allowing them to continue to be well-worn and time-tested instruments that they have proven to be.
The more interesting thing to question is where you hang them; the best suggestion is probably in your living room so that they are easy to pull off the wall and play when friends and family come over. However, for those worried about the safety of their valuable collection not staying in their case, it may not be a bad idea to look at how you should hang guitar on wall using a guitar wall rack.
I tend to like to hang my less used guitars on the wall with a hanger and keep my daily ones in a floor stand.
Is It Ok To Hang A Guitar On The Wall?
It is definitely okay. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when using a guitar holder:
- Make sure that the guitar is on a wall that doesn’t have a lot of traffic around it. You don’t want your guitar hanging in a place where kids are playing, etc that can get them accidentally knocked off the wall. For the most part, a wall hanger is very hard to knock down (much harder than guitar stands) but you still want to keep this in mind to make life easier.
- Consider what is on the other side of the wall where you want to install the guitar wall stand.
How To Hang A Guitar On The Wall
What You Need To Consider Before Installing A Guitar Wall Holder
A wall guitar hanger is one of the best and safest ways to store your guitars. Guitar mounts make accessing your favorite and most cherished guitars easy and handy, but before you begin the mount installation process, there are a few things you need to know for safe and effective hanging. Here are three of the most useful mounting considerations when installing a wall mount.
- Select a Reliable Wall Mount – Selecting a strong and sturdy wall mount is the first thing to consider for hanging your guitars. Choose a brand and design that is well-made and reliable. Don’t skimp on Price.
- Have the Proper Tools – Make sure you have all the proper tools for installing the wall mount. Generally, you’ll need mounting screws and plugs, tape measure, spirit level, pencil, hammer drill, hammer, and a screwdriver. If you’re not handy with tools or DIY home improvement projects, hire someone with carpentry skills.
- Choose a Secure Wall – The best type of wall for hanging a wall guitar mount is a solid masonry wall. Avoid using hollow walls or walls that don’t offer strong support from a stud, if possible. If you can’t find any solid walls, you can still hang your guitar on drywall or plasterboard using hollow wall anchors in the holes, which you can purchase at your local home improvement or hardware store.
Tools You Need To Hang Your Guitar On A Wall
Hanging a guitar does not really require much in the way of tools. The wall mounted guitar hanger should come with screws and perhaps plastic plugs. You will also need:
- one tape measure
- one level
- one pencil for properly placing the wall hanger
- drill and drill bit
- drywall anchors and mounting screws (which should actually be included). Some also come with brackets for hanging.
Once you have all of that, it is time to hang the guitar using a guitar hanging system. Also, a wall scanner is useful, especially if you are dealing with drywall or other thin walls.
Hanging Your Guitar
I’d recommend looking at this video on wall mounting guitars first – very good info here in a step by step format:
First. Pick the right wall for your wall mounted guitar holder. The external walls are ideal due to their sturdiness, but if you must use an interior wall use the stud finder to determine where the studs and interior wiring are: You will want to use the studs while avoiding the wiring. Once you have the wall chosen and know its interior configuration, place the guitar in the hanger and then place both on the floor. By measuring the guitar from the bottom to the top of the guitar hanger you will have the clearance needed.
Place the guitar mount by itself where you want it and make a mark with the pencil. Measure from that point down to make sure that the guitar will have the correct clearance. Use the hanger and level to ensure proper placement, and then use the level to make sure everything lines up. Make a pencil mark to ensure proper placement; you should have two pencil marks to line up the hanger. Use the hammer drill to put the plugs where they need to and then lightly tap them into place with the hammer. You do not need to place them all the way in; just to the depth of the plug will do. Now assemble the guitar hanger, and then tighten all of the screws on the base block until the block is flush with the wall.
Once everything is assembled and the wall hanger is flush to the wall, put the tools down and pick up the guitar. Place the guitar in the wall mount but do not let go; make sure that as you place you keep a firm grip on it. Eventually, you should put it in position and then slowly let go; you want to be able to grab if the wall hanger does not hold by the headstock. If everything was done properly, the guitar should be properly hanging on the wall in its new electric guitar hanger.
Hanging Guitars On Drywall Using Guitar Wall Hooks
Drywall presents a number of problems for the guitar hobbyist. The easy solution is to just hang the guitars where the studs are; the wall stud provides them with the support that they need and is better for heavier guitars. While you can purchase extenders and hollow wall anchors, the problem is that the walls themselves can only hold so much body weight of the guitar; this means that you need to make sure that you build on to the studs hidden in the wall if you plan to hang any of the heavier guitars. You also want to make sure that you place the guitars outside of normal pathways; while an accident is unlikely, grabbing a guitar to break a fall can lead to not only damaging the guitar, headstock, finish, guitar strings but also damaging the wall itself.
Can Wall Hangers Damage Your Guitar Neck?
When it comes down to it, hanging a guitar by its neck or even headstock should not damage the guitar. The force of gravity applies much less energy to the neck than the strings do; just hanging the guitar up should not damage the instrument under the body weight of the guitar. The biggest potential risk is from the potential for discoloration from where the rubber or plastic is in contact with the guitar hanger; over time it is possible for the rubber to eventually rub off onto the finish. The other issue is that exposing the wood to the humidity without a guitar humidifier and temperature of the area surrounding it may have some effect on the wood itself over time. Guitar room humidifiers may be a necessity.
Obviously the best solution would be to keep the guitar in its case. This keeps it safe from not only the ambient conditions but also potential accidents and theft. However, putting the guitar away in its case may protect it but would also deny the collector the ability to look at his collection at his leisure or to play them whenever he wanted. Thus, the collector must decide between protecting his instruments from all potential problems and hiding them away or keeping them out in the open where they may be enjoyed and possibly even played.
Some excellent advantages to hanging your guitar on the wall are:
- Free up floor space when floor space is something you don’t have a lot of.
- You see it in guitar stores, so it is good enough for home too.
- Bottom line, it looks cool!
What can I use to hang a guitar on the wall?
There are probably things that you can find at the hardware store that you can fashion into a wall hanger or wall mounted guitar stand for your guitar but honestly, I don’t think this is a good idea. Especially seeing how relatively cheap a guitar wall holder and wall mount guitar is – very comparable to a guitar stand. Wall hangers are very affordable so I would recommend reading on to see our recommendations for guitar wall holders.
Guitar Holder For Wall Conclusion
For those with a nice collection of guitars that want to show them off, this is arguably the best to way to show them off. An acoustic guitar or electric guitar collector would be proud to show off their collection, be it one guitar or a collection of them, and to do so in the best possible way. The guitars may need some dusting off every so often since they are not in their case if not played for a long time, but they will stay there as long as the walls stand cradled in your guitar hangers for the wall, making for a great way to show off your valued vintage guitar collection to any that would look as a wall mount guitar.